Monday, July 2, 2012

Mementos

My mom always kept a baby box for each of us kids. It is basically a container holding things relating to our childhood. She kept a couple of outfits each of us wore that were her favorites, blankets that people close to us made when we were born, a couple toys and stuffed animals, etc. and things significant to our lives as we were growing up; baptism outfit, church advancement certificates, school stuff. You get the idea.

I want to do the same thing for my kid(s). So, I asked my dad to build a box that I could put these mementos in for baby girl to look through when she's older. And he did. When my parents came down on this weekend, he brought the box. I love it and can't wait to use it.

3 comments:

Shalmeno said...

Wow! That's beautiful. I had no idea your dad was so talented in woodworking. Way to go Ken!

Jen said...

That's awesome! Does the kid get to take it when they get married? Jeff's mom did the same thing but their boxes were just those big plastic storage boxes. Everything was thrown in haphazard and Jeff didn't get to take it with him when we got married. His mom still has all the stuff. That's the one thing that bugs me a bit. I want to be able to show that stuff to our kids and we can't even have it. We got a few of the pictures and that's it. I wish she had at least put the pictures in some sort of album and in some sort of order but they are just thrown in the box crazy like. (I bet your box is better organized. And the one your dad made looks like it's got great little compartments for better organization!) The good thing about these days is you can just make a data CD with all their pictures (and digital copies of everything else if you feel inclined to scan it in) and the dates are already imprinted in the data. No sorting through loose pictures!

Wendy said...

That is so cool Shaine. Go Grandpa!