Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Bathtime

There is a long-held stereotype (probably based on a great deal of fact) that women LOVE to soak for long periods of time in a warm bath.  Not for hygienic purposes, but purely for relaxation and escape.  Bath & Body Works has made a fortune off of this theory.  I graduated from baths to showers when I was pretty little.  I hate baths.  I find them boring and not at all relaxing, even if I have a book with me.  My mind is going a million miles a minute and I feel kind of stupid lying in a tub of water when I could be lying on the couch doing the same thing.  If I'm going to relax in warm water, a shower is my preferred method.  I could, and sometimes do, spend long periods of time in a hot shower.  It is relaxing to me to use all my girly products, to take the time for some pampering that I usually don't during my regular "get in get out" morning showers.  Bath & Body Works has made a fortune off me indulging in my shower products (and I don't regret any of it!).   

Kevin finds this an extremely odd trait in my makeup.  Apparently, I am the only person he knows who dislikes baths and finds them boring.  I decided I cannot be alone in my disregard for a tub full of warm water and my preference for a long shower.  So tell me, am I odd and alone?  Or is there someone else who just can't get behind the relaxing bath concept?

9 comments:

Carrie said...

You are not alone. I get bored in baths and perfer long hot showers. 1-Shaine / 0-Kevin

Sarah said...

I am with you on this one. Maybe once or twice a year I will decide to give baths another chance, I'll draw a nice warm bath, get in, and then remember all the reasons that I don't like them. 1) I have never lived in a place with a large enough bathtub that I could really stretch out and get comfortable 2) I also get bored and I bring a book in to combat it, but then I am worried about the book getting wet and have to hold it at an uncomfortable angle 3) if I'm going to soak in the tub, I feel I might as well clean up, but I find washing my hair, shaving legs, etc. more logistically challengin in the tub than in the shower and I end up with soap residue and clumps of shaving cream everywhere. I tend toward the long, hot shower although I can't hold a candle to Julie. Also, I feel guilty about long showers b/c I feel like they waste so much more water than a bath of comparable length. Oh, well. It's a tough life.

Mal said...

Seriously, Kevin? Does HE like baths? I think I would like baths if I had a nice big tub that I could stretch out in and still be covered, but I've never, not EVER had one of those, so no, I don't like baths, and I don't even know for sure if I do.

Jen said...

Keep in mind, he's used to his mom taking a bath every night before she went to bed. No bath salts or bubble bath. Just plain warm water and a book. And the media portrays women as liking baths too. So as far as he knows that's what it's like. Little does he know that I (his own sister) am not a fan of baths either. Partly because I've always had to share a bathtub with my children and having to move their toys before I even get in and then having to sit in their bathtub (yuck! they are dirty boys!) is just not appealing. It's not really relaxing if you feel like you have to clean the bathtub just to take a bath. But I also find them boring. I try to bring a book but I get bored sitting like that and reading, not to mention uncomfortable. The water never covers me all the way so I always have to shift around. And then I look at the clock and it's only been five minutes and I'm dying to get out. Then when I try to get out, even if I do it slowly, I get dizzy and nauseous and have to lie down on the bathroom floor till it passes (another yuck!). Which probably means I make it way too hot but it's not comfy any colder! So I don't like them either.

Wendy said...

I am with you Shaine. Don't like baths. Love long showers. Funny thing my brother loves baths, all 6'6 of him. :)

Garbett Family said...

Nope, I love baths. I take a bath about once a week, sometimes more. I'm not fond of showers however--I just take them because I'm in a hurry in the morning.

jackie and dan. said...

What kind of bath are we talking about? The kind where you are in a large, oversized tub and possibly even jets? Or, are you talking about the small, cramped, frustrating baths that leave you no room to stretch out, much less cover your entire body with water? The latter bites while the first one is divine (especially with bubbles and candles...)

Kati Ann said...

I LOVE long HOT showers.
I rarely take a bath and its only when I have a bath related gift that I want to try.

Shalmeno said...

I guess this is a time when being short is a good thing. I enjoy baths - even if I have to clean out the tub before having one. (Hey, at least my tub gets cleaned!) Books are good, hot chocolate on the side can be good, but really people - take the laptop in there, plug it in and watch an episode of your favorite TV show, distraction free. It's awesome!