Monday, May 14, 2012

Birthday/Graduation/Mothers Day Weekend

We drove up to Eureka this past weekend for a series of celebrations; birthday, graduation, Mothers Day.    And we were glad to escape Livermore's 90* weather for Eureka's 65* temperatures.  Bliss!

My birthday was on Thursday and, unlike my past exploits, it was fairly low-key.  We went to dinner at my favorite place (Eddie Papa's!) and then saw the Avengers.  Amazing!

The real fun started the next day when we got up semi-early and drove north to the hometown for my brother Chris's graduation from Humboldt State University (HSU).  We stopped in Cloverdale for lunch at the World Famous Hamburger Ranch & BBQ.  It did not disappoint.  The food was incredibly delicious and I am definitely making a point of stopping there again for some food on one of the many future occasions I will be traveling along Hwy 101.  We got to Eureka in time to go see my Dad's play, "For Better."  It was hilarious and so fast-paced.  I haven't been able to see any of Dad's plays for a long while, and Kevin has never seen his acting chops.  I loved it.

The biggest surprise was at graduation the next day.  My brother, Jeff, and SIL, Kerry, left LA at 9 pm Friday night and drove through the night to surprise Chris for graduation and Mom for Mothers Day.  They pulled up to HSU at 8:15 am, just in time for the 8:30 graduation to begin.  They definitely win the best sibling award.  The graduation was mercifully short and Chris is done!  There are now four Klima alum from HSU, and Chris marks the last time I will probably attend an HSU graduation.  Jeff and Ben matriculated elsewhere.  It was a fun weekend with lots of laughs and relaxing, and Mom was thrilled to have all her chicks under one roof for the weekend.

 Lunch!
 So tasty
 Chris decided to make his own mortarboard with some poster board and a drapery tassel.  It was easy to find him in the crowd.
 The graduate and proud parents.
 The four Klima HSU alums.
Yay Chris!

No comments: