Tuesday, April 8, 2014

i believe

not too long ago someone said some not-so-nice things to me about my beliefs.  they assumed they knew about my faith because they had seen the broadway play "the book of mormon" and thought i was brainwashed because, to quote a song, "i'm a mormon, and i just believe."  i've been mulling over what this person said to me, and the response i wish i had been eloquent enough to say came pouring out of me this morning.

i'm a mormon, and i don't "just believe."  I have faith that has been earned and built up through study, prayer, acting upon principles of the gospel, and going through trials and coming out the other side with a greater understanding and knowledge of Christ's atoning sacrifice.  i don't "just believe."  i believe because i have been through the refiners fire; i have been comforted when at my lowest and have seen the miracles of God's blessings unfold before me.

i am a mormon, and i don't "just believe."  i believe because i have listened to the the counsel of living and past prophets and apostles, and have put that guidance to work in my own life and have seen the benefits and blessings that come from following that counsel.

i believe because i have chosen to make covenants with my Heavenly Father and have felt myself draw closer to Him and have seen the blessings that come from honoring my covenants and knowing that Heavenly Father is only wanting to continue to pour more blessings into my life as i continue to honor and live up to my promises and covenants.

i am a mormon and i don't "just believe."  i have faith that has grown because of the work that i put into my belief.  i have studied, i have prayed, and i have taken the Lord, the prophets, and apostles at their word and followed their counsel.  the result?  i am blessed beyond measure in so many ways.

i believe because i put in the work and make the effort. i don't "just believe" because someone told me to.  i have earned my faith and belief in the gospel and have learned for myself that i am a beloved daughter of God and that i have a purpose on this earth.  i have learned for myself that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, that Thomas S. Monson is the Lord's living prophet on the earth today.  i have learned for myself that the Lord leads and guides His church and i know that my family is eternal.  i have learned for myself that Christ atoned for my sins, and knows me, personally.

i have learned the gospel for myself and know it to be true.  it is not mere belief.  it is faith and knowledge in the Lord's resurrection and atonement that makes everything possible.

for how much i count on the Lord to support me and sustain me during the hard times and the good times, i cannot afford to "just believe."  i have to know it for myself.  and i do.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Well said. Thank you for that.

Sarah said...

I was really glad to read this today; it gave me a chance to reflect on my own experience with so-called "blind faith". Thanks for taking the time to write it!

Mal said...

"I have taken the Lord, the prophets, and apostles at their word and followed their counsel. the result? i am blessed beyond measure in so many ways." I love that. It's my favorite part. I'm glad you've seen the blessings, and I'm glad I have too!

And good luck trying to be that eloquent in future occurrences. It never happens. ;)