Monday, June 18, 2012

Giving it up

We started talking about it awhile ago, and finally made the big move over the weekend; we cancelled our cable and house phone.  We're not going completely off the grid.  We still have internet (hence the possibility of this blog post), and signed up for HuluPlus and upgraded our Netflix to include streaming.  Kevin has some magic resources (legal? not-so-legal? I don't ask too many questions) that he uses to download most of the TV shows we watch, so we're still keeping up with pop culture.  We're just trying to save a little money, have cell phones, and don't really need all 5 billion channels that come with cable.  General Conference is streaming online, for heaven's sake, and most stuff is available online.  And really, if you I want to talk to you (or you want to talk to me), you have my cell phone number.  Or we're FB friends.  Or you read this blog.  Or you know my email address.  I'm reachable in oh, so many ways.  See?  I'm still connected.  I just don't have cable anymore.  Or a house phone.  But its not like I used it that much, anyway.    

3 comments:

Kensie said...

I think this is great! Cable is so distracting! I always turn on the television in my room for noise but sooner or later I sit down and start watching and sometimes I don't stop until wayyy past bedtime! There are so many wonderful things to be doing instead! I think this is an excellent choice and yes who uses house phones anymore?!

Anonymous said...

We got rid of our cable AGES ago, and it's so nice! Sometimes we miss it, but you can get most things online now. A note though, I used to have the same resources as Kevin and they're starting to crack down. Your cable company can track your IP and will send you a notice. Just something to be aware of. But, if you're patient, 99.9% of shows will eventually be aired on either Hulu or the channel's website (and you have netflix and redbox for movies, w00t). On a more positive note, if you leave your cable plugged into the wall, Comcast sometimes has a hard time turning everything off so you may still get local channels :)

Jen said...

Cable is the easy one to give up. We haven't had cable since we moved out of student housing where it was free. Totally don't miss it. And we don't have Netflix or Hulu+ to make up the difference. We have an antenna for local channels because PBS is a MUST in our house! I wouldn't get a shower if not for PBS!!

But I have to admit that the house phone is one I'll never get rid of no matter how many cell phones we have around. I'm totally not risking the extra 2 minutes it takes the CHP dispatch that answers 911 on my cell phone to reroute my call to my local 911 dispatch. I'm also not risking them not knowing exactly where I am because I'm on a cell phone. Too much at stake (namely my 3.5 children). I need the 911 operator to know exactly who I am and where I am without me having to say a word - just in case I can't say a word and just in case my kids can't explain what happened. And with 3 boys in constant bodily peril around my house it is an actual, real risk. I can't tell you the number of times I've caught something JUST in time - literally 30 seconds before it would have become a 911 issue. I just don't trust cell phone for that. Even if it were just Jeff and I, I still couldn't do it. You are braver than I!