Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Livermorium

There are some new elements on the periodic table, apparently.  And no. 116 was created at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (where Kevin works...though not on this type of thing, but still).  So welcome livermorium, the latest element to be added to the periodic table.  It was created by smashing some atoms together and, once created, disintegrates quickly.  I'm not sure what the point is, but hey, I'm willing to bet it's important somehow, someway, to someone.  And Livermore is famous.  Sort of.  In certain circles.  This time for more than just me living here.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read the article to say that Livermorium was created at the Russian facility but that it was created with help from or by scientists on loan from the Lab. Hence the name. Did I read that right?