Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The best advice my Dad gave me...

I was reading an article that various people had contributed to.  The subject?  "The Best Advice My Dad Gave Me."  I instantly thought of some of the things that I learned from my Dad, and the nuggets that he still gives us and the quotes the boys and I still use.

*"There are no small parts, only small actors." (I was sad that I had a very small role in a local Shakespeare production.  Dad reminded me that ALL the roles are vital to telling the story.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be there).

*"The pink part is my thumb.  The white part is the rope.  Only cut the white part."  (A line from a magic trick he performed, but still, a great reminder to watch what you are doing).

*"Have fun, be smart, learn something." (Dad always said this to us when we walked out the door for school or when he dropped us off.  It worked while we were in school, but it is also a great life lesson.  We should always have fun, be smart about what we do, and always looking for opportunities to learn).

*If you did it right the first time, then I wouldn't have to tell you to do it again. (Self explanatory, and mostly aimed at my brothers.  But at me, occasionally.  Very occasionally.    :-)  

*Measure twice, cut once.

I could go on and on, but you get the gist of it.  I learned a great deal from my Dad, and am still learning from him.  I am a very lucky girl to have my Dad as my Dad.  He is incredible in so many ways.  I love you Dad!  Happy Father's Day!


No comments: