Sunday, May 29, 2011

Notes

Letter writing is a lost art, I think.  Remember in elementary school, when you had pen-pals from another school somewhere across the country or in an entirely different country?  You would write a letter a week, anxiously await for a reply back in the mail.  Good times.  Whenever I had friends on out in the mission field, I was pretty faithful about writing them (and most were really good about writing back).  But now there is email, texting, IM'ing, and phones are much more convenient to make long-distance calls on.  But still, letter-writing is deteriorating; grammar, structure, how to give news and make it sound interesting--that is all going by the wayside.  

I have a great deal of pretty note-cards that I keep stored in a box.  Just sitting there waiting for a special occasion to use them.  But here is my "sudden" realization.  There really is never going to be that special occasion to use them.  I have to make it.  We all like to get something in the mail.  Gifts are the best, but a nice note is almost as good.  : )  So I am going to do my best to start a letter writing campaign.  I'll send notes to my friends and family members.  If someone responds, yea!  If not, then I'll keep writing.  But I want to keep the art of letter writing alive, somewhat.  Because really, don't we all deserve something in the mail besides bills.

5 comments:

Mal said...

Totally agreed. I would write you if we didn't see each other at least once a week. :) Honestly, I finally stopped writing letters home only like two years ago. Mainly because they didn't write back but also the distance from here to Saipan is just too long. The news is old by then--not that I usually say anything REALLY interesting that they can't wait for anyway. I think I'll write letters to my grandmums tomorrow. I'll definitely get letters back from them!

Shalmeno said...

One of my "To-Dos" today is to go through my stationery drawer. Maybe I'll be inspired to write a note and actually MAIL it. :-)

Carrie said...

You know I agree with this and will "pay it forward"...

Jen said...

Agreed! My best friend, Meghan, just started writing me letters since she lives on the East Coast now and I have withdrawn from the 21st century in the form of fb, etc. So now we write each other letters. I love it! I'll write you back! I've got lots of pretty stationary paper!

Meredith said...

7528 Grant St Apt 7
Midvale, UT 84047