Thursday, May 5, 2011

Name Calling

A customer at work called me stupid today.  It wasn't a commentary on the company, the services provided, or anything like that; she called me, personally, stupid.  I told her that wasn't acceptable, wished her a nice day, and then hung up on her.  I hate anyone calling anybody stupid.  It is incredibly derogatory and is designed to cut people at the heart of themselves.  I know I am not stupid; that is not what this is about.  I hate when people try to find a way to cut someone down and feel that it is no big deal or completely acceptable because they are upset about something.  Name calling is never acceptable; personally attacking someone is never ok.  Calling someone stupid is a particular pet peeve of mine.  Out of all the attacks, that is one I find particularly appalling.  So maybe we can dial back on our name calling and make the world a little friendlier.  Or at least not try to tear down those around us.  Self-esteem is a terrible thing to bring down.

3 comments:

Kensie said...

Agreed.

You are clever, witty, and beautiful Shaine! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
I hope the rest of your day wasn't so negative. =]

Shalmeno said...

Argh! I'm sorry you had to deal with that. On the other hand, you can now commiserate even more fully with all the Black sisters who've ever worked customer service in a call center...

Michelle said...

Joseph is totally on your same page! He actually gets really upset, especially if someone calls themselves stupid. And I agree too, name calling is childish and does not identify nor contribute to the problem/feelings.