Thursday, January 17, 2013

I've still got it

When I was little, I pronounced "crayon" as "crown."  This frustrated my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Gilooley (and my Dad, let's be honest), to no end.  She had a first grader stand with me and try to teach me how to pronounce it correctly (just FYI, it didn't work; it took me a while to get the pronunciation down).  In conversation with Kevin the other night, I slipped back about 25 years and fell into my old pronunciation habit.  I had to seriously work on pronouncing the word "crayon."  For some reason, "crown" just kept coming out.  It's nice to know that I haven't forgotten my childhood roots.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Well...I now feel better about my pronunciation of said word "cran".

Jen said...

LOL! That's like Michael who used to say "did" instead of dead, or "pellow" instead of pillow. Jonathan used to say "keekaboo" instead of peekaboo - and he still slips that out once in a while. Those little things are so cute! I know I must have had something like that, but I can't remember what it was and now it's killing me! It's sitting there on the edge of my brain and I can't quite reach it... Darn! I bet Kevin remembers...