Thursday, September 6, 2012

Scottish Festival

The Scottish Festival is held in Pleasanton (at the Alameda County Fairgrounds) every year over Labor Day Weekend.  I have wanted to go since I moved here and found out about it, but obligations of one sort or another have prevented me from attending.  This year, I was bound and determined to go, come hell or highwater, newborn or no.  And it happened; I made it to the festival with Kevin, Lily, and my parents in tow.  It was fantastic, fun, and worth the entrance fee.  Next year, I will have a better idea of what is going on and be able to plan it out better in order to see everything.  But there were fantastic bands, sporting competitions, bagpipe band competitions, and Scottish dance displays.  I was a five-year old the night before Christmas and Christmas Day, all rolled into one.  It was ridiculous how excited I was.    

Also, this seems to be a prime place for people to dress up in period costume (the Mary, Queen of Scots court days), re-enact battles and pretend to be some long-distance ancestor (real or imaginary) for the weekend.  It was pretty interesting.  But I am ridiculously excited to go next year.  

 Men in kilts (and other strange costumes) were EVERYWHERE!
 Just a portion of the a Scottish clan camp
 A battle ensues!
 Mary, Queen of Scots, and her court, play croquet.  And those costumes looked uncomfortable in the heat.
 This guy was one of my faves.  Early argyle; how could you not love the outfit?  I think this is where golf ensembles got their start.
 Sheep herding competitions.  I could have watched them for hours.
 The food was amazing; pub food like I remember in Britain.
 Bagpipe band competition. 

2 comments:

Mal said...

I was so disappointed we didn't get to go! I've also wanted to go every year, but same thing--something else was going on. And this was my last chance! :(

Jen said...

I wanted to go really bad too... But alas, we just couldn't make it work. I've been once for a short time a long while ago and I want to experience it for real. Hopefully we can go next year!