Friday, November 25, 2011

Dickens Festival

A friend of mine scored some free tickets to the annual Charles Dickens Christmas Festival.  Kevin and I went with her family to observe this fascinating bit of culture.  This is a group of people seriously dedicated to their craft.  They have some pretty intense rules for the costumes and how they act.  Read about it here.  Seriously.  You'll get some enjoyment and head shaking out of it, I promise.

We started with some lunch; traditional Dickens era meat pies.  Seriously delicious and some of the best fair food I've ever had.  Fresh, warm, and oh, so tasty.  Yum.  But the rest of the day was fabulous.  Amelia, our four-year old friend, was my willing model for all sorts of masks and hats.  She struck some poses that did my heart proud.  Plus, she's adorable.  Marley's ghost was wandering around, I saw Scrooge with the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future.  It was pretty surreal.  The entire book of "A Christmas Carol" was being acted out through various parts of the festival.  It was AWESOME!  Everywhere you went, people were wearing period costumes, speaking in (fairly decent) British accents, and wishing you a Happy Christmas.  Really, it was pretty surreal.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and would love to go back.  It was vastly entertaining.  But don't take my word for it; see the photographic proof below!













2 comments:

Mal said...

I'm glad you had fun. It's is a surreal experience--at least the first time. I haven't been more than once, but knowing what to expect would probably shake that off a little.

Honestly, if I had a dress to wear, I would totally wear it.

Jen said...

I LOVE the Dickens Fair! Love it! I want to go again someday but alas, I don't think I'll be able to go again for a while. But someday when I do, I'm totally going to make my boys come and wear cute little knickers!