Sunday, January 30, 2011

Texting

I love texting; it is one of my primary forms of contacting someone. But I hate the texting shortcuts that a number of people take when sending a message. How hard is it to type t-o instead of 2? Does it take that much longer to add the y and o instead of just the u? Why can't they use OK instead of just K? Texting is convenient, but that is no reason to be lazy about it. Pretty soon someone will turn in a paper that uses nothing but symbols and shortcuts as the content of the assignment and be truly confused when they get a bad grade and are told it isn't correct. Predictive text is available for a reason if you do not want to go through the bother of typing out the entire message. Come on people, use that wonderful grammer and spelling that we were all (supposedly) taught in elementary school!

3 comments:

Mal said...

Well, I wouldn't call grammar wonderful. But yes, I agree. Although, I do use "u" for "you." I started using it when I wanted to cut out extra letters so I wouldn't have to pay for another message and it stuck.

As a teacher though, there is very little that could be done to convince me my student is stupid enough to think that is how those words are spelled. And yes, they would get low grades. BUCK UP, KIDDOS! WATCHOUT!

Meredith said...

Shaine I couldn't agree more. That drives me nuts too.

Michelle said...

hahahaha! lol Oh yes i totally agree and I think that is hilarious because I can totally picture some punk kid thinking, why not it's worth a shot I can't get any lower of a grade, something is better than nothing...or something like that! oh oh oh that is just too funny!