Saturday, October 22, 2011

RIP Nonie

My mom called me tonight to tell me my Nonie had passed away this morning.  Nonie was my Grandma's friend, and an adopted Grandma to my brothers and I.  She has been a part of my life since before I was born.  Grandma and Nonie travelled everywhere together; they went to Hawaii four times, drove across the country a couple times, came to Eureka to visit us more times than I can count.  Nonie came to all of our birthdays (when we lived in LA), our baptisms (even those who were baptized in Eureka), and spent every Christmas with us.  She was a grandmother to us in all the ways that mattered.

She had some major and minor strokes years ago, and kept having them.  She was sick, and in pain, and it was her time.  I don't quite know how to process this.  I am sad that she is gone; it is the ending of a chapter of my life.  On the other hand, she is in a happier place and free from her pain.  It is a surreal feeling.

But this I know.  I know that through the Savior, we can be with our family again; forever.  I have a strong testimony that this includes family we create in our hearts, not just DNA.  I will see my Nonie again.  And it will be a joyous reunion.

No comments: