Saturday, December 6, 2008

Tactless Questions or Invasion of Privacy?

Tonight was the Christmas party at my parents ward, so I went. This is the ward I grew up in, so I know a number of these people, and they have known me forever, plus they keep tabs on me through my parents. So I'm hanging out, chatting, and people are wondering what I'm doing. I fill them in on my upcoming school situation and what I'm planning on doing there. Then comes THE question..."so, are you dating anybody?" Or the subtle looks to my left hand (still devoid of any ring on the meaningful finger) and then the follow-up questions about my social life, and what was I doing in LA? There must have been plenty of singles there. This is enough to make me wish I didn't go to the family ward functions. Apparently I am a pitiable anomaly.

2 comments:

Shalmeno said...

I wish I could say it gets better once you make it to "the other side", but really, everybody just switches from "when are you getting married?" to "when are you having kids?" It's.....interesting. :-)

Garbett Family said...

I agree with your friend Vanessa! :) Hang in there, I put up with it for 28 years, and yes, it's rude and people are stupid!